Thunderstorm and Lightning:Electrical Development
Developing Thunderstorm and Lightning in Space
Stages of a thunderstorm's life.
picture from wikipedia
Storms are forming all over the world continuously and number is around 5,000.These storms are going together with lightning and cause a serious risk for both people and equipment. The hitting rate of strokes of lightning at the ground is about 30 to 100 strokes per second. The earth is struck by about 3 billion strokes of lightning each year.
All over the world, thousands of people are struck by lightning and a lot of animals are killed every year. It also causes a large number of fires which destroying forest, industries, commercial & residential building. Lightning mainly affects the equipments of electrical and electronic system, appliances of residential and industrial sector; the financial figure for damage is very high.
Electrical Development of a Storm Cloud and Stages of a thunderstorm's Life Cycle:
Hot air rising from the ground and it collects water droplets until it becomes a cloud. The droplets are separated and transformed into ice crystals by aggressive rising and falling air current. Positive and negative electrical charges are generated by collation between water and ice particles.
The positive charged ice crystals stay in the upper part and negative charged water droplets remain in the bottom of the cloud. Lightning begins to develop inside the storm cloud and this cloud forms an enormous capacitor with the ground. Then flashes of lightning begin to form between the cloud and the ground which is called strokes of lightning and caused appears the first rain.
Next time the cloud gradually becomes less active while the ground lightning increases. It also convoy with heavy rains and strong winds as a result, hundreds of thousands of tones of rain water.
Safety and Awareness:
Safety and awareness frequently overlap each other. Generally thunderstorm safety refers what people should do during storm. Some common and important points are as-
- Avoid close to the storm to hear thunder can be struck by lightning, hearing thunder immediate action should be taken.
- Close and stay away from windows and doors.
- Do not have a bath or shower during thundering.
- Avoid use of electrical and electronic appliances, corded & cordless telephones, mobile etc. during thunderstorm.
- Thunder normally hit at highest point, so if it is open field and safe buildings is not possible, bend as low as and minimize contact with the ground.
- If driving, safely exit the road, park and remain in the vehicle and avoid touching metal.